Sanderson School was named for General George Sanderson. He was born in 1798 in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania and came to Lancaster in 1799. A former mail carrier over the Zane’s Trace, he established both the Independent Press and the Lancaster Gazette. He was a captain in the War of 1812 and later became a Major General in the Ohio Militia. He was an early historian of Lancaster.
The school was built in 1967 with classroom additions in 1973 and 1994. Sanderson is one of eight elementary schools in the Lancaster City School district.